Need a quick and easy, inexpensive meal? This is a fun quick meal that even your kids will eat. If I have already made my Refrigerator Roll Dough this is a meal on my plan for the week, typically.
What you need:
- 1 small can of Chili
- 2 cups of Shredded Cheese (we keep Colby Jack on hand)
- Sour Cream (for the adults)
- 2 cups of Shredded Lettuce
- 1 diced Tomato (for the adults)
- Picante Salsa
- Refrigerator Roll Dough (could be Rhodes frozen roll dough, but then you need thaw it before use)
- about 2 cups of frying oil
- First, put your oil in the frying pan, and turn on the stove to a medium heat (5 or 6). Next you prepare your fry bread. Just take a handful of dough, about the size of a small roll, flatten it out into a circular shape. You can use either a rolling pin to form your dough or just use your hands and pull it to the desired shape. Stretch the dough as thin as you can without tearing it.
- Set it aside.
- When oil is hot enough to fry, place the flattened dough in the oil. **Watch out oil may splatter and this will burn you if it hits you!** (You can check the oil by putting in a tiny piece of your dough or take a wooden spoon and dip the handle into the oil, if the oil starts to bubble around these items then it is hot enough) Turn the dough over after about 2 mins when the bubbling starts to slow, it should be a nice golden color on the side that was down in the oil. Take the fry bread out of the oil when both sides are nicely browned. Place on a plate with a paper towel set on it so that it can absorb the excess oil that will drip off. Repeat the process until all the dough you have prepared is done.
- While the bread is frying you will be needing to prepare the Chili, Cheese, Lettuce and tomatoes. With the chili just open the can and put it on the stove to heat up. Cheese can come pre-shredded or you can do that as well. Just make as much as you think you will need. For the lettuce, as with the cheese, you can purchase it pre-shredded or you can chop it up yourself. Same for the tomato.
- Place all the condiments and garnishes on the table. and everyone can prepare their fry bread as they prefer. The fry bread can double as a scone and would just need butter and powdered sugar or jam.
This feeds a family of 5 easily. And takes only about 30 mins to prepare. Making about 10 medium pieces of fry bread.